Messiah's Complex

Wednesday, April 20, 2005

Bring Back Youppi!

One more thought on the Nats: they need a new mascot. Their newest mascot, Screech, is supposed to be an eaglet, combining our nations love of respecting national symbols and finding babies cuter than the grown versions. Anyway, Screech looks much more like a chicken than an eagle. I don't think a chicken is a good mascot, even if San Diego has their chicken. Perhaps he is a ... friar! Har har.

Perhaps I am disappointed, because I thought the team should keep at least one relic of its Montreal heritage -- the old mascot Youppi!. Youppi! was wonderful and brought a smile to all who saw him. He was ridiculous looking, but isn't that the point of a mascot. I say we should bring Youppi! back!

3 Comments:

  • Youppi was awesome, easily in my Top 5 Favorite Mascots of All Time. Still, every professional sports franchise in D.C. has an eagle for a mascot, right?

    By Blogger Nick, at 2:00 PM  

  • Wait...it's not Screech from Saved by the Bell? I was happy for him that he'd found work.

    By Blogger Archi, at 3:51 PM  

  • I believe the Expos/Nats dealt Youppi to the Canadiens for cash considerations. And Gobo was among a bunch of us who saw Dustin Diamond do bad stand-up in Atlanta a couple of years back (and referred to as Screach in the program.)

    By Blogger JQ, at 7:58 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home