HDTV has its problems
So, I did okay the first round (I should've looked up the odds on Bucknell. I also should've bought Tivo stock when I was planning to four months ago, but whatever). But the overall bracket is pretty much busted because one of the few games missed was Syracuse-Vermont, and I had Syracuse going to the Final Four.
The main gripe I have so far is with the HDTV broadcast. I mean, the video is great. But the first problem: not all of the games are in HD. Is this really possible? Why even have the service? There's only eight venues. There should be universal HD of all games. Someone should make this so. Second complaint: There's some technical glitch preventing the HD channel from switching over to whatever game is close and about to end. I didn't realize that regular CBS and the HD-CBS weren't simulcast until it was too late. I was watching some lame runaway game like an idiot while screaming at the TV as the Syracuse-Vermont game was close and winding down. Then to make matters worse, the running scoreboard that they have of all the other current games switched so that the game they were actually showing video of became one of the three "other" games that they were keeping a running update of. This means, that one of the four games going on was missing. And of course, it was the Syracuse game. This means that CBS-regular switched over to the Syracuse-Vermont game as regulation was winding down and stayed for all of overtime. In the meantime, the HD channel kept the lame game on, but switched its graphics (the running scoreboard updates of the other games) as though it had switched to the Syracuse game. I didn't figure this all out until the late games, when the same thing happened as the Bucknell miracle was about to happen and the announcers for the crappy game said "And now we go to Greg Gumbel in NY" but nothing happened. I thought that was an amusing glitch for a second, but then I pieced it all together and figured out what had happened. And indeed, the non-HD channel had switched to the Bucknell game. Again, this seems like a completely unnecessary problem, much like an MRI taking 30 minutes. With today's technology, it should be a 60-second process.
The main gripe I have so far is with the HDTV broadcast. I mean, the video is great. But the first problem: not all of the games are in HD. Is this really possible? Why even have the service? There's only eight venues. There should be universal HD of all games. Someone should make this so. Second complaint: There's some technical glitch preventing the HD channel from switching over to whatever game is close and about to end. I didn't realize that regular CBS and the HD-CBS weren't simulcast until it was too late. I was watching some lame runaway game like an idiot while screaming at the TV as the Syracuse-Vermont game was close and winding down. Then to make matters worse, the running scoreboard that they have of all the other current games switched so that the game they were actually showing video of became one of the three "other" games that they were keeping a running update of. This means, that one of the four games going on was missing. And of course, it was the Syracuse game. This means that CBS-regular switched over to the Syracuse-Vermont game as regulation was winding down and stayed for all of overtime. In the meantime, the HD channel kept the lame game on, but switched its graphics (the running scoreboard updates of the other games) as though it had switched to the Syracuse game. I didn't figure this all out until the late games, when the same thing happened as the Bucknell miracle was about to happen and the announcers for the crappy game said "And now we go to Greg Gumbel in NY" but nothing happened. I thought that was an amusing glitch for a second, but then I pieced it all together and figured out what had happened. And indeed, the non-HD channel had switched to the Bucknell game. Again, this seems like a completely unnecessary problem, much like an MRI taking 30 minutes. With today's technology, it should be a 60-second process.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home