Messiah's Complex

Monday, May 14, 2007

Trivia Night, attempt 2



I wrote a very long post about going to the local Irish pub last week with long-time friend and recent DC resident Neon Leon for trivia night. But apparently, that post is nowhere to be found. Rest assured it was a rather boring post, but Neon and I persevered to win the sudden death tie-breaker and finish in 2d place, earning us a $25 gift certificate toward our bar tab. The tie-breaker? How many days were Joe DiMaggio and Marilyn Monroe married? We guessed 10 months, i.e., 300 days. The other team guessed something like 63 days. So they were clearly going to lose. We were pretty darned close, with the answer being 274 days. We were helped out with Neon's extensive knowledge in the theme round of "College Movies" -- Animal House, Revenge of the Nerds, Accepted, etc. However, it was I that started the collaborative effort to come up with the movie featuring the tagline ""They've got their degrees all rolled up." I suggested the Method Man / Red Man buddy pic that got snubbed by the Academy a few years ago. Neon somehow remembered the film's name -- How High. Hey, turned out that every answer mattered. In honor of the triplets, and Neon's and my relative girth, we chose as our team name "Go Large or Go Home." Neon and I have yet to finish in first. We've gotten second a few times, and third once ($10 gift certificate), and have been joined by the likes of McClendon's Folly, Kasierstrasse, and my big brother. Hopefully, Sean's Ramblings will be able to join for an impromptu session, but considering his VA starting point (and the need to go through the traffickiest portion of the Beltway) and the 7:00 start time, and my general unavailability, I don't think that will be happening. Maybe on a holiday.

4 Comments:

  • I certainly understand that you have an extremely busy schedule, but if you know on Sunday that you're going to trivia night on Monday, please let me know.

    By Blogger Sean, at 8:12 PM  

  • How did you not name your team "Yermom"? Or at least VChina! This is an outrage!

    By Blogger Unknown, at 9:30 AM  

  • Yermom is a classic that can certainly be pulled out of retirement for the right occasion. VChina is also a classic, but loses its lustre in a non-NTN world where team names are neither limited to six letters nor prohibited from using off-color words.

    Sean -- I will try to find a good time to do a June outing far enough in advance, meaning a Sunday.

    By Blogger Messiah, at 9:48 AM  

  • come in first next time! make us proud.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 11:19 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home